There are a number of reasons that a dishwasher can leak. However, most instances do not require a professional to fix it. Below are some of the most common causes of a leaking dishwasher and tips to fix the situation.
- Before using the dishwasher, the buyer should read the instruction manual so as to not use the appliance improperly.
- The dishwasher should not be overloaded.
- The instruction manual will tell the buyer what type and how much detergent should be used. The buyer should stick to the amount that the manual instructs buyers to use. Using too much detergent could cause the detergent and water to spill out of the appliance.
- The buyer should make sure that the dishwasher is placed in an area of the home where the appliance will be level. If a dishwasher is not level, then the water will most likely leak out.
- The gasket on the door should be regularly inspected for any damage. If damage is found, then the gasket should be replaced. When changing the gasket, the power to the appliance should be shut off. The old gasket should be removed and a new one should be put on after first soaking it in warm water. Soaking a new gasket in warm water should make the part easier to handle.
- The spray arm should also be checked regularly. This part is located at the bottom of the appliance. Homeowners should make sure that the holes in the arm are clear from any buildup, if there is buildup a piece of wire of the same diameter can be used to unblock the holes. The homeowner should also look for any cracks and warping in the spray arm. If the arm is cracked or warped the arm should be replaced.
- Sometimes water can come from the bottom of the dishwasher. IN this instance the lower box should be checked. The drain hose and the pump should be checked for cracks, leaks, and loose connections. If the pump leaks, a professional should be called in.
Homeowners should remember that when dealing with appliances such as dishwashers and washing machines that the power supply to the appliance should be shut off. Homeowners should also never attempt to fix a problem that requires a professional.
About First Choice Restoration
First Choice Restoration is a water, mold, fire, and smoke remediation company headquartered in Philadelphia, PA. The company also operates additional offices throughout other areas of Pennsylvania, Maryland, New Jersey, and Delaware. The company has been assisting homeowners and businesses with water, mold, fire, and smoke cleanup for over 40 years.