The presence of mold can be incredibly harmful to your health and the health of anyone living in your home. Inhaling or ingesting mold spores can lead to a variety of negative long-term effects as well as acute allergic reactions. Exposure to mold should be limited as much as possible, and if you find that it has taken up residence in your home, you will want to get rid of it as soon as possible. There are several different types of mold that can grow inside your home, so identifying the type you have found is important before beginning any remediation efforts. Once you know what type of mold has taken up residence in your home, you can target all the necessary areas for treatment. Here, we list some tips on how to get rid of mold in your home once and for all.
Identify the type of mold you have found
There are many different species of mold, and each type will require a slightly different treatment plan, especially when it comes to removal and remediation. Some types of mold are easy to spot, while others are harder to see and identify by sight alone. If you want to get rid of the mold and prevent it from growing back, you will want to identify the type you have found. Below are some common types of mold you may find in your home.
- Black Mold – Also known as black mold, stachybotrys is a species of fungus that can grow into a large, slimy mass. It is dangerous because it produces mycotoxins that can be inhaled and cause a wide array of short- and long-term health effects, including respiratory problems, skin rashes, headaches, and mood disorders. If you find black mold in your home, you will want to take action immediately.
- Blue/Green Mold – Blue, green, or black (or a combination of these colors) mold may be a type of aspergillus, another toxic mold that produces mycotoxins that can lead to serious health complications. If you identify blue or green mold in your home, you will want to take action immediately.
- White Mold – If you find white mold in your home, it is likely a type of fungus known as a cladosporium. This mold is typically only harmful to those who have weakened immune systems.
- Orange Mold – Orange mold is usually a type of stachybotrys, and you will want to take action immediately if you find it in your home.
- Black/White/Green Blotchy Mold – Although this sounds like a variety of different molds, it is often actually a sign of a much larger problem. Black, white, and green blotchy mold is often a sign that there is water damage in the area, and it is likely that you have an infestation of ants or termites as well. If you find this mold in your home, you will want to take action immediately.
Dry out the areas where mold has grown
The easiest way to get rid of the mold in your home is to simply dry out the areas where it has grown. If the mold has only grown in a few small areas, you will be able to get rid of it simply by using fans to blow air through the area and out of the house. This will help to dry out the area and push the mold spores out of the house. If the mold is growing in a larger area, such as behind a wall, you will want to hire a professional for assistance. A professional will have the proper tools to properly dry out the area and help to ensure that the mold does not come back. Before drying out the area, use fans to pull as much moisture out of the area as possible. This will help to prevent the mold spores from spreading to other parts of the house.
Remove the remaining mold
If you are able to dry out the mold, you will likely be able to simply get rid of it with no chemicals or other treatments required. However, there may be parts of your home where the mold has grown beyond the point of drying out, or you may have mold growing in an area that is not porous enough to allow for drying out. In these cases, you will need to use a cleaning solution to kill the remaining mold and prevent it from growing back. There are many different cleaning solutions on the market, and each one targets different types of mold. You will want to select one that targets the specific type of mold you have found in your home. Be sure to follow the manufacturer’s instructions and wear the proper safety equipment while cleaning.
Seal up any areas where moisture can enter
Mold often grows in areas with high levels of moisture. If you find mold in your home, you may want to investigate and see if there are areas where water is able to enter your home and collect. If so, you will want to seal that area off to prevent any further mold growth. You may be able to do this yourself, or you can hire a professional for assistance. Additionally, if you have found mold in an area of your home that is hard to get to and you do not feel comfortable attempting to clean it yourself, you can call a professional for assistance.
There are many harmful effects that can come from mold and mold spores, and it is important to take action as soon as possible to prevent and get rid of it. If you find mold in your home, you will want to take action immediately to prevent it from spreading and causing even more damage. To get rid of the mold, you may need to dry out the affected areas or kill the remaining mold with a cleaning solution. Be sure to seal off any areas where water can enter your home and look out for signs of mold in the future so you can take action right away if you see it. If you believe this something that you cannot do on your own, please contact First Choice Restoration at firstchoicerestore.com or call 800-370-0770.
Mold can be very harmful, especially to people with allergies or asthma. If you see black or grey mold, it could be toxic mold. The only way to know for sure if it is toxic mold is to have it tested. If you see any mold, it is best to clean it up as soon as possible. It is also important to prevent mold from growing in the future by keeping humidity levels down, fixing leaks and using dehumidifiers. To get rid of the mold, you can use a cleaning product. If you don’t clean it up properly, it could come back.
First Choice Restoration’s highly trained mold cleanup and restoration team will take the needed professional approach to solving your mold issues. To help restore your home and get back your peace of mind, call us now at 800.370.0770.
When disaster strikes, and you need mold cleanup! Contact First Choice Restoration! We are here for you!