While we may not live in a direct hurricane path, we still get remnants of hurricane rain and wind. Thus, it is important to know how to minimize the damage to your home.
Preparing your Property
There are at least 5 things that a homeowner can do to minimize the damage to their homes.
- Installing storm shutters to a home can help against debris and pressurization. Storm shutters take longer to install than plywood but are more secure and reliable.
- This preventative measure is easy and inexpensive. Just make sure that your soffits are properly secured. This can be done by using a sealant and stainless-steel screws. Sealant should be used along the edge of the channel and the wall to prevent wind from getting behind the soffit. Screws can be used to secure the fascia and channels so that they connect to the soffit more securely.
- Using roofing cement to adhere shingles is inexpensive and effective. The roofing cement should be placed in large dabs on the back of the shingles closest to the edge of the roof. Extra focus should be placed on the shingles on the edge of the roof and near the gable edge.
- Attention should be paid to the landscaping at a home. Rocks, branches, yard equipment and furniture can be picked up by the wind if not properly secured.
- Any holes where wiring, cables, and pipes enter a home should be properly sealed as these are weak points on a home. Sealing these areas with caulk will prevent wind and water from entering the home. Gaps around electrical boxes, breaker panels, wall outlets, lights, pipes, and other things should also be sealed.
While there are more ways to prepare a home to minimize the damage from a hurricane, these five preventative measures will help.
If you followed these measures and find that you still had damage to your home, give us a call and we’ll help you put your house back together.
First Choice Restoration’s highly trained mold cleanup and restoration team will take the needed professional approach to solving your mold issues. To help restore your home and get back your peace of mind, call us now at 800.370.0770.
When disaster strikes, and you need mold cleanup! Call First Choice Restoration! We are here for you!