If your planning on using candles to mark special events or create a soothing atmosphere in your home, please remember that open flames are a potential fire hazard.
According to the National Fire Protection Association, about 10000 residential fires are caused each year by careless use of candles. Here are the top 10 safety tips to keep in mind when using real candles in your home.
1) Keep candles at least 12 inches away from flammable objects / materials, such as furniture, curtain or paper.
2) Never use water to extinguish a candle to prevent hot wax from splashing. Use a candle snuffer instead.
3) Burn candles in a ventilated room(s). Do not burn too many candles in a small room where air exchange is limited.
4) Do not burn candles in rooms with drafts, vents, fans or air currents to avoid rapid, uneven burning.
5) Burn candles in sturdy candle holders and place them on flat, stable, and heat-resistant surfaces.
6) Consider replacing burning candles with battery-operated flame-less candles in your home. Most electrical candles look and smell like real candles.
7) Keep candles out of the reach of children and pets.
8) Always blow candles out if you leave the room or go to bed.
9) Avoid burning candles all the way down. Put out candles when there are at least two inches of wax left.
10) Avoid using candles during a power outage. The risk of fire or injuries when using or handling candles in the dark is increased.
If you sustain any fire damage to your property, please call us at 1-800-370-0770 for a free fire damage restoration estimate.